Fairoaks was one word when this enticement was circulating around the country, and it was also tagged "the home of fruit and beauty," a spelling and slogan the current Fair Oaks Village no longer claims. The Fairoaks Civic Club was the booster behind this brochure, touting its paradise a dozen miles from Sacramento, situated on bluffs above a beautiful stretch of the American River.
Colonists came to Fairoaks in the late 1880s, railroaded in by speculators who extolled the climate, the soil, the scenery and surroundings. There was really little negative to say about a place where oranges, apples, olives and every other useful fruit and vegetable grew in abundance. By the time this leaflet was making its rounds (circa 1915), the community boasted a bank, churches, club houses, library, post office, grocery store, and a blacksmith shop. A wide array of crops were grown, canned or packed, and shipped by rail right from where they had been grown, and Fair Oaks, as it was later called, was a top citrus producer in California until the crippling freeze of the early 1930s cancelled the area's production.